Monday, October 26, 2015

When Life Knocks You Down, Get Back Up

So, the past two weeks have been rough.  I mean, really rough.  I was mistreated and betrayed by people that I trusted completely, and it left me disillusioned, hurt, and, quite frankly, a little bit depressed.  Not to mention a tad hopeless about my situation.

I wanted to give up so bad.  Almost everything inside of me was ready to throw in the towel and run in the other direction, to just lie down and never get back up.  It was BAD.  If you don't believe me, you can ask my mom, who sat with me in the car encouraging me while I told her it felt like I was having an emotional breakdown.

So, I prayed about it (which is always the first place we should go, and not the last, as I keep learning time and time again).  And I felt a little bit of light flood my eyes and give me a different perspective on my situation.

You see, the enemy will try to get us to believe these things about our situation.  He'll try to tell us that it's hopeless and that we should just give up and run in the complete opposite direction.  He say that if we lie down and take everything that's coming to us, that maybe, just maybe the pain will lessen a little bit.

But that's not what God wants for us.  Sometimes God will take us through the valleys and the deserts before we arrive at the mountaintops.  It's not always going to be easy to serve God, especially when we feel like people have betrayed us and maybe, even that God Himself has betrayed us.  Just look at Jesus' life.  He suffered a ton of hurt and betrayal throughout His life, especially in the events leading up to His crucifixion, even so that one of His closest friends handed Jesus over to be crucified.  And while He was suffering on the cross, Jesus cried out "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

As we can see there, it's perfectly natural to feel betrayed and hurt, and to be tempted to give up.  But that doesn't mean that we should.  1 Peter 4:13 says, "But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."

There is HOPE.  There is hope in our situations, and we will move past that seemingly overwhelming pain and the feelings of betrayal onto an "exceeding joy".

So, if you're like me and you've been (or even are) tempted to give up and throw in the towel, then I advise you to GET UP.  Yeah, we might have taken quite the blow and we may have fallen to the ground, but that doesn't mean we'll stay there forever.  Tomorrow will be better, and we WILL get over this.  If we just keep on marching forward and we don't stop for anything, God will eventually bring us to the mountain and we'll be able to look back and see how He was with us, guiding us the entire time we were walking through the valley.

Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord shall be a light unto me.--Micah 7:8

No comments:

Post a Comment