Friday, August 19, 2016

Purity:It's a heart thing

"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." --Psalm 51:10

I used to think that purity was based on our actions and choices. To be pure, one needs to make sure they are dressed appropriately, abstain from doing things that are sinful and unrighteous, and make it obvious that they loved God with their whole heart (or at least act like they do).

But I'm not so sure anymore.

No, I don't think doing any of these things are wrong. I believe it is important to dress in a manner that's glorifying to God, abstain from sinful actions, and share our love for God with others. But I no longer believe that's the most important thing.

"...for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." --1 Samuel 16:7

When God looks at us and judges our purity, He's not basing it on what everyone else can see. To Him, our purity is found in the heart. Yeah, our actions and decisions reflect our purity, but it's not enough to just go through the motions of being pure. If our heart is in the wrong place, it doesn't matter how many good works we've done...God looks at our impure heart.

For instance, what if you acted like the poster child for sexual purity (I apologize if some readers find this topic a little sensitive). You've never had sex, maybe never even kissed a boy, and everyone knows it. You may preach to other young people about abstaining from sex until marriage, like you're doing. But when you are by yourself, you regularly fantasize about things that completely contradict everything you say you believe in. Your actions are in the right place, but your heart is somewhere completely different.

Which do you think God will look at? Of course He notices your outward sexual purity, but He also notices the things stored in your heart.

So now, I don't think of purity as something completely based in my actions. I want to make sure that my heart is in the right place, that every thought/attitude/mentality is glorifying to Jesus. It's not enough that my actions please Him, I want to please Him in everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment