Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Those Around Me

Oftimes the dumbest things upset me.  I cry for a reason that I later realize is completely stupid.  I often reason with myself that I am, obviously, a teenage girl and that teenage girls are supposed to be emotional.  However, even I know that is no excuse for selfishness and self-pity.
Most times I try to move the focus off myself and on to those around me.  After all, I could be hurting very badly on the inside, but I still have it better than the rest of this world.  There are so many hurting people out there, how could I focus on the things that are so unimportant.
I was reading a book earlier, and one of the characters in it is a young girl back in the 1800s who was forced into prostitution after her husband died, leaving her without any family or friends.  Three sisters live across the saloon that she works at, and they try to help her as best they can.  She does eventually get freed from the man who claims to 'own' her, but my point is, there are people out there like that today.
How many people have I passed by that have hidden scars from past hurts?  How many people have I ignored that may be abused and stuck in a hopeless situation?  God is hope, so why didn't I show them that they aren't stuck in a completely hopeless situation?  Are there people surrounding me right now that could be hurting just as must as that book character?
At one time or another we all have hurts that must heal.  There will always be people in the world hurting, no matter how hard we try to stop it.  Sometimes it is God's way of helping us grow.  Sometimes we can grow by helping others through their hurts.  I feel like I haven't helped anyone at all, but now it's time for that to change.  I WILL help those around me.  I WILL witness to those who have not yet heard the truth.  I WILL show God to the hurting and broken.  That is why I'm here, after all.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

1 comment:

  1. It is not for us to know whether we have truly touched a life in need. We can strive to do so, and treat everyone as though they needed kindness, consideration, and compassion. For how often has a timely word been spoken in your life when you most needed the encouragement?

    Wish you well, and fair fortune.

    ReplyDelete