Thursday, July 21, 2011

Agape Love-Forgiveness

Love-We all know what it is.  We all have experienced it (hopefully) at one point time in our lives.  Love is very powerful.  Even the very word can tear someone heart apart or make their heart seemingly fly to the highest mountains.  Love is the very thing that gave us salvation.
But love is a very risky thing.  I have found myself putting my heart out, only to have it returned crushed and broken in a million pieces.  Love isn't something to be taken lightly.  If you truly love someone, you'll risk getting hurt even if you know that they will, at one point time or another, break your heart.
The word Agape is mentioned several times in the bible.  It is a love so selfless and pure that very few people ever experience it truly.  It is so great that God Himself came down to earth because of this type of love.  Agape love is very rare amongst people today, even amongst Christians.
Lately, I have been struggling very hard with two things: love and forgiveness.  My pastor preached about love and forgiveness Sunday morning, so I find myself struggling in these two areas especially.  He spoke on how we gave up our right to take revenge on those who have hurt us, and how we need the love of God to feel our hearts, so we can truly love them...even when they hurt us.
We need to love them like Christ loved us.  He was willing to sacrifice of Himself for our sakes, so why do we let the flesh have control, and, instead of extending mercy and forgiveness, we try to get revenge?  We only trap ourselves in doing so.
This week has been the ultimate test of love and forgiveness.  I felt like I had finally learned how to forgive, and like I didn't have problems with anyone anymore.  Then, even harder challenges arose.  I found myself nearly throwing in the towel and giving into that anger and bitterness that had snuck into my heart.  But (God really does have a sense of humor) God sent another messenger who talked on loving others and how we gave up the right to take revenge.  I really needed to hear that at that specific moment in time.
So, my question is, do you have trouble with forgiving those who have hurt you?  Are you demonstrating Agape love, or do you automatically shun a person when they hurt you?  Do you put your heart on the line, or hold some of yourself back?  Don't worry, I have trouble with this too, but, with God's help, we can overcome these two things.

Matthew 5:43-45

King James Version (KJV)

 43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
 44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment