Monday, July 11, 2011

Beautiful-Outer Beauty

Okay, so I think all of us have trouble with our self-image at one point time or another.  Maybe it's not so much the inner beauty as it is the outer beauty that we struggle with.  I went to a family reunion this week, and I found myself comparing myself to all of these really thin and pretty female relatives I have.  Yes, the effects did last for a few hours, and on top of that, I was struggling with confusion on other people's opinion of me.  I asked God to help me see myself the way He sees me, to help me with these destructive feelings.
Yes, He did help me with these feelings.  He helped me to see that I shouldn't compare myself to others, when He made me in His image.  Mandisa put it this way:

"I am a sixteen year old daughter, lost in a mirror with no self esteem, but God made me in His image, and that makes me a beauty queen."

She was completely right about this.  God did make us in His image, right?  So why should we be ashamed if we have red hair when we want blonde?  Or when we want to be 120 pounds, but we're 140.  We don't have to let society's view of beauty affect our view of beauty.  We don't have to let Hollywood tell us that we need to be stick thin and anorexic to be pretty.  We don't have to cake on makeup, dye our hair, or wear skin tight clothing to be attractive.  You are beautiful just the way you are!
So, if you struggle with these feelings, just know that you are made in God's image, and you don't have to let anyone tell you what you need to look like to be beautiful.  You are what you say you are, and if you say you're beautiful, you are most definitely beautiful.

Proverbs 31:30
Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

No comments:

Post a Comment